Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Bad News and Good News

Bad news is that I didn't win the freeroll at the Boathouse last night. Good news is that Big Mike did! He played great and was catching cards. He was also a little drunk too, so I think it made him harder for people to read. The win paid for the bar tab, so I guess it was a win all around. *lol*

Twenty five people signed up, and we started out with T100, 1/2 blinds. Actually not a bad structure for a bar freeroll. I got pocket 9's on the first hand and got my butt kicked! I didn't have a chance to get a read on the other people yet, and I went up against pocket K's and A-little. I raised pre-flop and bet first after the flop of all low cards. On the turn, I fired out another bet and was raised by the pocket K's. I was able to drop the 9's, but I was down T50. An A came on the river, and the guy who shouldn't have been in there in the first place took it. He then proceeded to waste his new-found wealth by playing every hand and calling any bet. I wanted to get him in a hand so bad, but I wasn't seeing anything I could even play with.

That's pretty much how my whole night went. I saw very few playable cards, but I made the most of what I had. I went out in 8th place, and proceeded to deal for the rest of the tourney. I did the same thing for Al's last tournament, and I actually enjoy dealing.

Last night gave me a whole new respect for dealers. With players who have some idea of how to play, it's not bad. When you have a group of drunk idiots (like we were in Vegas on the first night), I'd be fired for making rude comments to the players. The guys playing all knew that I'd played plenty of times since was always on top of things and correcting the worst cases of bad etiquette. I just couldn't keep my mouth shut about some things. Then, when we have two all-ins with two additional callers, they're going to argue with me and tell me how to work it. Talk about frustrating...

The worst offender was a guy to my left who was extremely drunk (could barely stay on his chair) who didn't know that the min bet is the big blind and the min raise is the amount of the bet. I really don't think he liked me for correcting him those 7 or 8 times. Felicia has taught me well. *lol*

I'm sure I'll end up playing there again. We're there anyways... and if it results in the occasional reduced or free bar tab, it's just a bonus! They're moving the time of the tourney from 8 PM to 7 PM so more people will play. As more people start playing, they'll start increasing the amount paid for a win. It's also one of the few places that pay second and third place. It's only $25 each, but it's better than the others that don't even do that much.

I'm planning on a nice quiet night at home tonight. Let Al make (order) dinner, grab a book and curl up in bed. And if Al happens to be doing something else which leaves the computer free...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice job Eva... we just got bills passed in Minnesota to allow bar Hold Em' tournies.

Got any tips for winning these things? :)

8:49 AM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

Yeah, play aggressively and buy everyone else at your table lots of shots! If they can't see their cards, they can't win... *lol*

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home