Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Best and Worst News!

I just walked out of my manager's office in a daze. I called in sick yesterday - not because of the late nite chats and poker, but because my sinuses are killing me - and my manager asked if I would stop by his office. I thought it was something about my sick day. Nope. Something much, much better.

I've only been working heavily with HP-UX over the last 8 months. My manager's been really supportive when I've asked for education and the like. I've been to one class and was looking into another on performance tuning, but the classes usually cost almost $3K. When I stopped by, he told me that HP is currently waiving "tuition" at their next conference for individuals who are fairly new to HP products. Cool! I get the class I want (plus additional ones I didn't know if the company would pay for) for free and get to go to a conference. HP will even be allowing me to test for my certifications for free if I go. Score!

Here's the best and worst part of it. The conference is September 12-15. My birthday is the 14th. I get to celebrate at the conference. Normally this would be a downer, but the conference is being held in New Orleans, LA. Woo-hoo! I love New Orleans and can't believe my luck in getting sent there! I just want to know how I'm supposed to stay sober (and not hung over) enough to actually attend the sessions I need to attend and pass my certifications....

10 Comments:

Blogger Easycure said...

"I just want to know how I'm supposed to stay sober (and not hung over) enough to actually attend the sessions I need to attend and pass my certifications...."

Life's little challenges....heh. Good luck!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch New Orleans? Only place for worst temptation to drink would a Vegas poker room.

Good luck Eva :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger peacecorn said...

New Orleans! Congratulations! Do stop in at Harry's Corner (at Dumaine and Chartres) and ask if the parrot is still alive. I lived on Dumaine between Chartres and Decatur--Harry's was "my" bar.

10:34 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Hmmm... Nawlins... that's just a 2 hour drive for me...

10:36 AM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

Drizz - wrong. I don't like to lose money playing poker, so I drink but only enough for a light buzz. New Orleans is a different matter entirely. I love wandering the city and having fun on Bourbon Street. Remind me one day to tell you some of my New Orleans/Mardi Gras stories...

CJ - definitely come to visit! I'm going to try to fly in Friday night or Saturday instead of Sunday before the conference. Maybe I can extend the later end, too.

The company better not pull this trip out from under me!

11:48 AM  
Blogger April said...

Let me know if the trip is extended either way, I'm up for some NO poker. And drinkin'!

12:20 PM  
Blogger alan said...

Personally, I don't see how anything related to HPUX can be considered good news.

But have fun. :)

4:27 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Excellent, congrats! I haven't been to New Orleans yet but it's on my short list of places I want to hit. A girlfriend of mine had her bachelorette party there. Too expensive for me at the time (I'm in Chicago) but I hear the events of the weekend were of Vegas proportions.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My most profitable poker nights have come at the bottom of a bottle of Cap'n Morgan :)

11:35 AM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

I highly advise a visit to New Orleans. Even just for a couple of days. If you plan it right, you can get away cheaply. If you want advice, let me know. I'll be happy to help!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home