Friday, June 24, 2005

In the Genes?

There are people that think some individuals are "born bad", and no matter what their childhood is like, those individuals will always be the ones to get arrested, drink, take drugs and raise hell. Heck, I married a man that is nothing like the rest of his family when it comes to his lifestyle. (His family is very religious, and his sister married a minister. Yeah, that really is Al's family.) He was raised in the same home with the same upbringing as his sister, yet he is very different.

Is that destiny? Is that predisposition? Inherited? I believe that there is a gene somewhere that drives you to take risks and branch out from what is familiar in your upbringing. I think that there's a "gambling" gene tucked into one of those dna strands that we have. I know that I'm a risk taker, a thrill seeker. It compels me to ride outrageous roller coasters, drive vehicles over 100 miles an hour and (want to) jump out of perfectly good airplanes. It also draws me to poker and the thrill of the cards, the bluffing and taking down large pots. It's the adrenaline rush that you get from making a big play and coming out on top.

I found out from my Mom that many of my great-great-uncles were riverboat gamblers down south, and many of my relatives now still frequent the tables. I grew up in a family that always played cards. Is my love of poker due to the fact that I was always playing cards growing up, or did I inherit it from ancestors long ago?

Wherever it came from, the game of poker definitely gets in one's blood. It's more than a way to win a couple of bucks for me. I see it as a challenge, and something fun that will take some time to master. Actually, I may never master the game, but I will definitely keep trying...

7 Comments:

Blogger BG said...

My great grandmother was stoned to death for stealing chickens. I'm just saying...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

My dad was a huge cardplayer, and I recently found out a secret - my mom loves poker too! Tricky woman she is. My love of the game is no longer a mystery.

11:35 AM  
Blogger April said...

My grandmother taught me how to play poker when I was a kid, so when I picked it up again a year ago, I always thought of it as a way of connecting with her. My dad plays too, but not seriously. My grandmother on the other hand...I can see how she would have loved this poker explosion, and would have been one of this little old ladies we see at the tables, never suspecting anything from them, as they quietly take everyone's chips...

2:37 PM  
Blogger The Bracelet said...

I end up so good at everything that I try, that I have to constantly try new things.

You can find me crushing online boggle most nights now.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Easycure said...

You're already a better player than 7 out of 10 poker bloggers.

6:57 AM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

I have no genes whatsoever for poker, and look and how great I turned out! Seriously though, noone in my family plays cards, although they do enjoy slots and a little bit of gin rummy (ok, cards, but not CARDS)
T

9:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My grandparents played euchre, cribbage, and gin rummy with me every weekend we'd spend at their cabin.

Never lost the need to play cards after that :)

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home