Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Limiting No Limit

When I put my inital deposit onto Full Tilt Poker, I wanted to clear my bonus as quickly as I could so I wouldn't lose it. It wasn't the first time I'd played on FTP because Al had been nice enough to transfer a couple of bucks to let me give it a try. I lost his money, so I figured the only way I should keep playing is if I did it on my own bankroll. I was going to try make some money at online poker.

So, there I was, depositing my measley little $100 into my FTP account. I tried to figure out what would clear my bonus the quickest. I knew I didn't have the money for the big games. I decided on the $25 NL hold'em. With .10/.25 blinds, I could afford to wait for the best hands to play. I was doing pretty good after the first session - I cleared a couple of dollars for the bonus, and I was up about $10 or so.

After a couple of sessions, I get the great idea that if I can do that on one table, imagine what I can do on two tables! I start two-tabling. Clearing the bonus twice as quick, still playing tight and making a decent amount on my play. I go another few sessions like this. I think, I'm getting better at this online poker thing.

Again, my logical mind starts thinking... if two tables are better than one, imagine how great three tables would be! I finished clearing the bonus quickly and doubled up my buy-in. I can play hands on multiple tables and be up on every table I play. I'm an awesome online poker player! Woo-hoo!

Then all hell breaks loose... I can't win a hand to save my life. I have second best hand every time, or I get sucked out on. Not just on one table - I'm losing no matter where I play. It was like everyone could see what the cards were going to be except for me. I suck... why did I ever start playing this game in the first place?!?

I got my official welcome to the world of online poker and compounded variance. On a good day, you're up on all three tables or at least the gains of one table makes up for the losses on another. When you're having a bad day on all of the tables? Watch out bankroll! Plus, how much is this really helping my game? I got too caught up in the thrill of winning to see that I wasn't getting any better.

For the time being, I'm going back to playing one table at a time. I'm also taking Felicia's advice and playing more stud and razz. (Thanks for that advice - they're the only games I'm making money at these days!) I need to concentrate more on my opponents in the online games I'm playing, which I never really did before because I figured I couldn't see their "tells" anyways. I also need to keep mixing up my games to keep things fresh. Can't let myself get into a routine where I'm just reacting instead of thinking about how I should be playing.

Time to take the game up a level. Time to focus on poker and grind it out instead of taking the easy way out. Damn, I liked the big wins too.

7 Comments:

Blogger StB said...

Welcome to our hell!
Seriously though, I wish you the best of luck. I enjoy reading more about games I don't play (stud) than those I do. If I was smart, I would do the piggyback on Felicia's advice.

Look forward to reading of your progress.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh no, Felicia is infecting more bloggers to play Razz.

I'm sure she didn't bother to include the warning label that Razz causes a increase in blood pressure and decrease in emotional stablity.

Great blog Eva, I would have never known if that hippie hasn't finally given us a link ;)

5:26 AM  
Blogger Easycure said...

Yeah, it was about time he let us know you and joined the ranks....I don't think I met you in Vegas, but I did have a SoCo (or three) with your guy.

Good luck in your playing....I'm very interested in hearing how you do because I'm almost as new at this as you are.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Maudie said...

Yay - another girl in the ranks of testorone laden blogs! I love the picture of you Gracie has of you over at her site, by the way...

I'm not a "bar gal" - but next gathering, perhaps the girls ought to comandeer a poker table???

7:59 AM  
Blogger Pauly said...

Diggin your blog!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

More chicks blogging poker - go Eva!!! :) I got close enough to see you from a distance in Vegas - we'll definitely have to meet next time!

8:03 PM  
Blogger hdouble said...

Did you just say "compounded variance"? Hmm, so much for the dumb blond stuff. Kidding. Welcome to blogging...

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home