Monday, June 13, 2005

Office Zen

While it may surprise some people to learn that I make a living working on Unix servers, I don't think the look of my office would. It looks more like a college kid's dorm room than an office. Plants, pictures, mini-fridge, fishtank and all. Yes, I know that some of these things are against corporate policy, but some rules are meant to be ignored. (Kind of like the dress code... hehehe)

I spend more time at work than at home most days, so why wouldn't I make my office a comfortable place? Most people aren't very happy in their jobs. I know I'd be much happier hanging out at home or away on a trip to some far away place. That's just not an option yet. I keep increasing the amount of Al's life insurance, but I don't know if I can feed him any more fried foods and alcohol without attracting attention. So, since I figure that I'm stuck in my office for a while longer, I'm going to enjoy it.

I got new fish for my tank today. I'm so excited about the new fish... I'd had a disease go through the tank when I introduced a plecostomus to clean algae a month or so ago. It's been empty of all fish except the pleco for the last couple of weeks. After a good tank cleaning and another round of water testing, I was finally ready to get my new fishies! I was looking at some glass catfish and some other kind of black-finned silver shark (can't remember the exact name), but ended up with another pretty little quartet of guppies.

I have a strange habit of naming my fish, too. My favorite was a guppy I'd named "Dopey". He was the heartiest fish I'd ever seen. I figured he'd be living with the cockroaches if there was ever a nuclear war. The little guy had been in the first batch I bought 7 months ago, when I initally set up the tank. The first heater I put into the tank had a little problem with its thermostat, so it never shut off. The temperature was close to 100 degrees when I came in the next day (the usual temp is between 70-78 degrees). It cooked all but Dopey. I thought he was brain dead (hence Dopey) and would keel over any day. He just hung in there. After a few days of living on the bottom and the addition of some new fish, he perked up and quickly became the leader of his new buddies. He survived the disease that killed the rest of the fish. I think it was boredom that killed him.

Hence all of the fun stuff in my office. Otherwise, I'd be just like Dopey... dead of boredom at work.

Any ideas for names?

6 Comments:

Blogger peacecorn said...

I've had a long line of frogs who swim in a tank in my office. Their (largely retarded) names have included Hobo, Sweet Pickle, Shrimpenstein, Steve Holtz!, and Stratego. But I think you should name one of your fishies PeaceCorn. I think PeaceCorn is a fine name for a fish.

Of course, other fine fish names include Annie Duke, Clonie Gowen, Mimi Tran, Jennifer Harman, Cyndy Violette, and Susie Issacs.

7:47 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

So glad to have you aboard!!!!!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

either that or you can name them for the beatles or such.

10:27 AM  
Blogger April said...

My next animal will be named Steve. It just makes me laugh. You are free to use this as well.

Otherwise, I offer the Modest Mouse lyric "We named our children after towns that we'd never been to" - lot of potential there.

Glad to see ya in bloggerdom!

12:05 PM  
Blogger BadBlood said...

Well now....guess I have another blog to add to the roll. :)

Anyone have pix of us arm-wrestling???

12:34 PM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

BB - no clue on pics. I hope so, since I'd love to see it.

I just a copy of the karaoke one from Bill Rini with Mrs. HumanHead, Maigrey and I. Once I get the ok from the other girls, maybe that one will be going up!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home