Thursday, August 18, 2005

Here comes a rough weekend

Nope. Tuesday was as bad as I thought it would be. Only won two hands. I won one with A7o in the SB - flopped 2 pair and turned the full house. It was against my friend Danielle, and I felt bad because she lost with Big Slick suited. Her flush had come up, but it didn't beat my boat. I doubled up on that hand, which unfortunately wasn't very much. The other hand I had pocket As and I got one caller on the pre-flop raise but nothing after.

I play tight, or at least I try to. Stick with the better hands, and you'll win more often, right? In my case, no. That's my biggest frustration right now. I've been playing limit ($.50/$1) to try to work out some of my flaws, and I can't seem to get any love from the cards. Playing last night on FTP, I'd get AK, AQ, KQ and lose with them every time. My pocket Ks got busted by pocket Js when the board made a straight to the 10. Then I'd watch as the crap (Q4o, 59s, 36o) that I folded would have made trips, a straight, a flush, etc and WON. I'd see two or three hands like that, and I'd play decent but lesser cards (i.e. 89s) but the run would be over. I usually finish up a little, but not enough to cover the loss of a single session when I can't grind out a win.

I think my other problem is that I give other players too much credit for their play. I've folded good hands when I have top pair high kicker(KQ on a QJJ board), but there's another pair on the board. It's plausible for them to have trips, possibly a boat at that stage. When the person before me comes out firing big, I fold. Someone else calls, and the hand gets won by that pair and the person with the higher kicker. A lot of it comes down to reading other players, and I'm still working on that.

It was suggested by PokerWolf that my problem may be due to the fact that I'm focusing on new areas of learning and neglecting some of my basics. Could be. So, for this weekend, I intend to play the crappiest poker possible at Bradoween and play without trying to calculate pot odds or the like. I'm going back to basics and the fun aspect of it. Maybe taking a break from the academic side of poker will help revitalize it when I come back and try again next week...

And the fact that I probably won't even be able to see my cards while playing this weekend doesn't hurt either. :-)

I plan on drinking lots and enjoying myself this weekend. My goals:

1. No puking.
2. No nude pictures - of me.
3. No dancing on tables unless I have at least one other girl with me.
4. Get another blackmail picture of Iggy to add to my collection. They've been getting better with each gathering.
5. Dial-a-shots!
6. Beer pong and flip-cup.
7. Make friends with the cops when they come on Saturday so that nobody gets arrested for public drunkenness.
8. Remember at least 50% of what happens so I have stories to write.

I'm sure you'll hear plenty of stories from this weekend. As far out as the stories sound, they're true. It's hard to make up anything quite this crazy. I plan to have video, so maybe I'll have something good to share when I get back.

Enjoy your weekend! I know I will...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GoDaddy.com Offers New RSS Feeds
GoDaddy.com's RSS feeds provide customers access to domain aunctions, news, products and announcements.
Good blog, keep up the great work.
I have a debt site/blog. It pretty much covers debt related stuff.
Check out mine sometime if you have a chance!

7:47 AM  
Blogger April said...

Can't wait to see you!!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Pokerwolf said...

I have/had the same problem with giving people too much credit for their hands. You have to learn to pay off people if they have a better hand than you sometimes, especially at the lower limits. Remember that these dorks are playing with crap hands most of the time. That means when you have top pair, they're calling you with second or third best or busted draws.

Two things that help you IMMENSELY at lower limits are pot odds and pot size. Pot size is really important at lower levels. If you get over 20SB and you have a hand, you're calling it to the river unless it's blatantly obvious someone else has a better hand than you do (like a co-ordinated board, for example).

Check out Lee Jones' and Ed Miller's books. I'd reccomend Jones before Miller, but read them both. There's A LOT to learn, but remember that you don't have to do everything they say.

Taking a break is a good idea. I tend to play NL play chip tournaments when I want to blow off steam. It helps with tournament practice and, best of all, it's free!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you add "No Nude Pics... of Al" into that list?

Thanks. Hope you two have fun!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

God what a weekend! See you back on Monday...maybe.

-Ryan

11:41 PM  
Blogger Joanada said...

Have fun - I am very jealous :) Cant wait to see the pics!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Joanada said...

Have fun - I am very jealous :) Cant wait to see the pics!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home