Sunday, August 28, 2005

Last night's results

Well, I made $6 last night. I actually played really well. Since I needed the extra concentration to play, I think I was making better decisions and playing better cards. Of course, I didn't play that many hands since I went for a period of almost 45 minutes without cards above a 10. Bluffing was out of the question, for the most part. I did well not chasing either. I don't think I want to make a habit of playing that way, though.

I've been taking a long look at my game lately. I think part of my problem has to do with my recent streak of lousy luck (or what I perceive as such). Since I haven't been winning much, I've become rather scared in my betting. I haven't been raising as much pre-flop with some hands because I'm afraid I won't catch anything. With us buying the house, I haven't had as much money to put towards my bankroll either. A few losing sessions can take a large chunk of what I have left, even playing the lower limits. I should probably switch to a limit game, but I hate giving up on my no limit play, which is more enjoyable to me.

I also need to take look at starting hands and when it's acceptable to play lower-quality hands. Again, the whole pot odds and betting thing. I still suck at calculating pot odds and the like, especially pre-flop. I'm pretty good about laying down cards after the flop, but I think I throw away cards pre-flop that I could be playing due to the circumstances around the hand.

I wish I could afford a "tutor" to watch me play and discuss the hands. Or even if I could watch them play and discuss the hands. Of course, everyone's style is different, but I think that doing something like that would help me learn some of this stuff best. I can imagine how annoying it would be for someone to have to go through an ordeal like this while they're trying to play and make money, so I know I'd have to pay someone enough to make up for the lost concentration, possibly lost money, and annoyance. I can only pay in mixed drinks... :-)

I'm going to play a little more tonight and see if I can make any more progress.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm happy to watch and comment if I'm on.

I'll probably be playing after the little one is in bed around 8 central time.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Beck said...

It's also entirely possible you're just stuck in the ass end of variance. People don't realize how long bad-luck streaks can last. According to Malmuth, if you have 300BB (and are a good enough player that over the long run you have a positive EV), you have a 1% chance of going broke. That's a hell of a large bankroll to insure against going broke, and you can still go broke. Think about what that says about the potential for long term bad luck streaks.

And as for having someone watch you play--my own game has benefited greatly from having a poker mentor (a coworker who got me started in the first place). Blogs work as great surrogate mentors. Just discuss hands and invite criticism--you're sure to get it.

OK, I'm done pontificating now.

1:57 PM  
Blogger ScottMcM said...

I will love to hang and watch you play anytime,

10:48 PM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

Thanks guys! I will probably be taking you up on the offers... :-)

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home