Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Freerolls and such

We went to the BH to play in the freeroll last night, as we usually do every Tuesday night. Nothing new to report - same play, same suckouts. Long story short - wasn't getting cards. Got pocket Js, raised preflop from BB, bet on 10-high flop, got reraised by the guy who never reraises unless he's got the nuts. Folded, and he showed me his pocket As. Played one other hand - pocket Ks. Blinds are getting up there. Raised big preflop, one caller. Another 10-high flop and I go all-in - get called by QTo. Rivered a Q, and I'm out.

Oh well. The BH has opened up their wireless router, so I sat and played some poker on Full Tilt while I was waiting. Not a good idea - all I had for dinner was a bowl of soup and I was feeling those 3 beers I had. I really don't think I was playing that badly, but I was down about $5 when the battery died. Oops. It was fine though... I got tired of waiting for Al to quit goofing off and let BigMike take him home. They were supposed to be bringing home some Wendy's food (jr. bacon cheeseburger!), so I played a little while waiting. I doubled up on two tables and finished up about $25. I was beat, called the guys to cancel my food order, and went to bed.

I know I'm a little superstitious, but it was when my bankroll was at this point last time that I had the nasty run of cards that wiped me out. I'm just being cautious, and I know I've learned more since that happened. I'm better at picking out tables where I can win and getting off the tables when things start to slide. I know I'm reading people better (anything was better than how I was doing) and I've starting calling (correctly!) in situations where I'd fold to scare bets.

It's all a good experiment in my progress. I've only got money on the one site, but I might try signing up for another one. Maybe Party (Bonus Code:Iggy)? I don't know if it's worth it to have two accounts when I don't spend that much time playing. Usually I only have time for an hour-long session here and there. Is it better to build bankrolls on two sites or keep focusing on the one?

6 Comments:

Blogger Buffalo66 said...

I know everyone is in love with Party because of the fishiness, but at the micro limits, the rake is awful high. If you do sign up with Party I would definitely look for a rakeback plan.

I've had good luck with Bodog - it's only a 20% bonus, but you should clear it in 1-2 days. (3 points per $1.) The players are VERY fishy. Three deposits so far and I've always cashed out at least twice what I put in.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I prefer building bankrolls on seven different sites for no reason at all.

Sites with money in the accounts: Party, Stars, UB, BET365, Interpoker, BoDog, Absolute, Noble, and Full Tilt

I need intervention.

To answer your question, separating the bankroll CAN prevent that night you decide it would be super-cool to play $10/$20 NL with Phil Ivey and lose. You'd have money on a different site that was protected from the spur-of-the-moment gamble at the higher tables.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Easycure said...

Or, you can have money at one site (Stars) like me, wait, two now (thanks Pauly and Titan).

It's easy to keep track of that way.

12:58 PM  
Blogger total said...

If you've never had a Real Money account from Party, check out Instant Bankroll and sign up. The phone call to activate it is a bit of a pain, but it's a free $75, plus a $25 bonus after 500 hands. If you want to play there, might as well do it for free.

1:45 PM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

Joe - saw that on your blog. Was wondering if I felt like making the call. With the lower limits that I play, it probably is... and who am I to give up free money? :-)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Sparky said...

I had money on Stars, then thanks to the Titan WPBT, I had a free $10 there for first deposit. Now I've run that up to around $70, and may pull it - the site does suck - but I still am making progress toward a bonus so we'll see.
I might do that thing on Party though, free money... I need more hours in the day. Or to start playing at work. Ha!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home