Saturday, October 15, 2005

Power Tools and Packing Up

I've never been known to be the most graceful woman on earth. I mean, I don't fall over my own feet when I walk, but I've had plenty of injuries in the past. Messed up my right knee roller skating and finished it (along with my ankles) off with 3 years of high school volleyball. Many sets of stitches. Sprained wrist when I hit a deer with my car. Car accidents in July or August of 3 consecutive years. I'm past that now... I've come a long way since the days when I gave myself a black eye in batting practice for softball.

So, why does my husband turn 3 shades of pale when I tell him I was working with a power saw earlier that day? He visibly cringes when I start talking about how I was putting up tyvek lining on the side of a house - two stories up near the roof. Our company support the United Way and allows us to take work days to help out the local communities. I volunteered to help repair a 95 year old woman's house. It needed lots of work, and including replacing a toilet and residing part of the house. I like doing physical work - my job has me sitting on my butt most of the day. I'm actually pretty good doing that type of stuff. I'm a little sore, but it's that good type of sore that lets you know you accomplished something. Otherwise, I'm completely unhurt.

He'd better get used to me using power tools. We close on our house in 12 days. Twelve whole days, and I have all kinds of plans for the house. Installing ceiling fans and new light fixtures. Repainting several rooms. Finishing the basement. I'm going to have to be up on ladders doing work. I'll be helping cut and put up drywall, along with building a set of cabinets in the basement. I'm looking forward to it. Not the actual moving, but having a place of our own will be so worth it!

The next couple of weeks will be a blur. I leave tomorrow for a week in Orlando for a conference. I have an HP-UX certification test or two to take while I'm there. I get back on Friday and have to prep for updating 4 servers on Sunday. Back to work for 3 days, then close on the house Thursday. Four days of painting and installing fixtures, split with another Sunday of updating servers. Getting the new appliances delivered on Monday. Moving in and getting things put away. (If anyone living close is good at painting, I pay in beer and good food. I'd love the help!) :-)

Poker will be limited for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to the blogger tourney on the 23rd. It will be good to play against everyone again. Vegas is still up in the air. By that time, I'm sure I'll need the vacation. Until then, I'll be doing everything I can to keep my sanity. What little I have left...

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

It just won't be Vegas with you two. You have to make it!!!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Congrats on the house! I too like doing handy-type household stuff. Results are tangible, and working on computers all day results in - as you said - too much butt-time. Owning a house might be the coolest thing I've done yet as an a-dult :)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home