Friday, November 18, 2005

Sitting in the Waiting Room...

I'm sitting here in the waiting room of the Nissan Dealership, where I'm waiting for an oil change and making them check for a few little things that should be covered under my warranty. I should be at work, but I told my boss that I'd bring my laptop and work on some documentation I need to get updated. When I got here, I threw in my wireless card on the off chance that some business or individual set up a wireless network and didn't bother to lock it down. Since my lucky streak seems to be holding (I even found a lucky penny, heads up, from my birthyear in the parking lot walking to my truck), I was able to find a network with an excellent signal. So what do I do... log into work? Hell no! I fire up the browser and start doing personal stuff. Like updating my blog.

My poker playing has been way down lately. I did play for a little bit the other night, but the results have been mixed. Sometimes I'll drop a buy-in (or even two), but I usually make it up plus by the end of the session. I know that the levels that I play at are not conducive to large wins, but they also keep me from taking huge losses too.

I'm wondering if I get too aggressive on hands where maybe I should hold back a little bit. I know that I have to be aggressive to keep people from making their draws, but sometimes it doesn't seem like it does any good. (I know that I want this to happen since I'll be ahead in the long run, but...) Other times, that same aggression gets me in trouble with things like a flopped set with a baby pocket pair... I know I can't help people who slow-play, but if I'm in mid-position with someone behind me, I find that I build the pot for them to take. If I don't bet it, they bet and I can't tell if it's a push-out move or if they really have something...

I did get a compliment the other day from one of the better players who always seems to be up pretty big when I see him playing (which is usually most times I'm playing). After I lost a buy-in, he complimented me on my play and told me that I'd made a great play but there was no way that I could have put him on the hand he had. I don't know if he was trying to placate the fish, but... it was a case of all limpers, big pre-flop raise in the big blind with big slick, and it went to heads-up. Flop comes K 6 4. I have TPTK, bet the pot. Other player raises me 2x my bet. It looked like a scare tactic to me - he had a king but lower kicker and he wanted me out. With that board, I was positive it wasn't two pair. I doubled his bet and he pushed me all-in. I was pot committed at this time and it was only a few more dollars to call. He had pocket 4s... didn't even enter my mind. With the pre-flop raise, I wouldn't have expected someone to call with such a low pair. Did I play this wrong?

So I know I won't ever be winning the World Series of Poker, but at least I'll look cool sitting at the table now... I got my new iPod set up last night. The other MP3 player I bought wasn't an iPod since I'd heard how much of a pain they were to use and set up... their new software fixes a whole lot of that! My pitiful little 2000 songs barely makes a dent in the 60 GB I have to work with. It's so damn cool too! I can put movies and videos on it and have that to watch on the way to Vegas... or at the tables when I'm losing. lol It's only got enough room for 150 hours of video, so if anyone has any cool movies that I can put on here...

Ok, ok... so I'm actually going to get some work done. I can't let my boss think I'm a complete screw-up. For my next post, I'll be working on trying to get the women together for some of our own "events". We're equal when it comes to the poker tables, but the women have a definite advantage at the bar... and we need to plan a "storming" of some of the hot spots/cool lounges.

As long as nobody takes pictures, we should be good. What happens in Vegas...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home