Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Am I missing some ritual?

The poker gods are angry with me. I think I've offended them in some way. Maybe it was the statement that I've been doing well lately and building up my bankroll. They've taken it as a sign of boasting and have determined that I need to be taken down a notch or two... or maybe I didn't sacrafice the required virgin. Whatever it is, I need to change things.

I'd been having sessions where I'd end up a little or down a little, sometimes as much as a buyin or two. More up than down, so I was feeling good about it. Over the last few days though, I can't do anything with the cards I'm dealt. The cards refuse to cooperate. The best starting hand I've gotten is pocket Qs. After many several hours on two tables, you would think I could do better than that. AK, AQ, KQ... flop would come up with a mid to high pair that didn't match mine or 3 of the same suit (of which I have none). Small to mid-pocket pairs and miss the flop every time. Someone comes out firing before it comes to me. Should I continue on? I try the occasional reraise, but in general, I can't see throwing away money on that.

Ok, enough of the whining. You get my point though. I see people playing crap and catching cards. Even mid pair is taking down pots... unless I'm in the hand. Best I can get with my hands is a mediocre pair, a gutshot draw or I miss it entirely. It's not that I'm passive in this whole thing. When I get a decent hand, I raise and use continuation bets to try to get people out of the hand. It works sometimes... more likely than not, they reraise. On occasion I'll call just to see what they have. It's been bad for the bankroll because they seem to have it every time. I mean, who calls a 4xBB raise with a K4o and catches a set of 4s on the flop? My opponents, that's who.

I've tried different times, different tables, different levels. Even different sites - PokerStars and Full Tilt. It's following me around. If anyone has an "in" with the poker gods, tell them I've been a good girl this year and all I asked Santa for this year was a nice long winning streak. It seems like Santa's forgotten this year... does the Easter Bunny ever bring anything besides eggs?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Easter Bunny brings Peeps!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

The Easter Bunny brought me Metallica: And Justice for All one year, on casette even! Here's hoping it doesn't take till Easter to snap out of your card slump!!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Meek said...

How did Tuesday morning go, did you lighten up on them for disabling the server or did you get your revenge?

If you want to get better cards more often, try multiple tables.

11:13 AM  
Blogger iamhoff said...

Wow. Sounds like you've been on the same tables I've been on. In fact I had somebody do the 4x BB raise with 4-7o and hit a set of 4s. What's in my pocket? Aces. I think my favorite (not) was having KT sooted, pairing the king on the flop, making a set on the turn, betting hard all the way, only to be up against somebody with KJ! Switch games. Change limits at least. Switch from NL to PL or fixed. Or change to Omaha or Stud. I switched over to Omaha for the first time last night and the cards just came to life! It's amazing. Anyway, that's my advice, novice that I am. I'm on both FT and Stars, but I mainly play at Stars (play money for now, bankroll coming in less than 2 weeks due to quarterly bonus!), so look for "iamhoff" and say Hi. Good luck.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Jestocost said...

Welcome to my world over the past two plus months. Unfortunately, I don't think it's unique or that there's anything you can do about it really. That, of course, is provided that your assessment is based on a reasonably objective analysis of the events. This is where a took like Poker Tracker has real value in that you can see how things really have unfolded, not just how you remember them.

In my case, I think that part of my problem is that I'm at a sort of plateau that I need to break through. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know how to pull together everything that I've learned. That results in me knowing the play I want to make, but missing even one factor that I need to consider (like my opponents stack size, my position after the flop, that other player who decides to call, etc.) can turn those plays into disasters.

No great insights into how to get through it, though. It's finally dawned on me that it will take actual work for me to improve my game; not just flying by the seat of my pants like I'm used to doing in life.

If you find the great secret, however, please let me know.

Good luck!

7:52 AM  
Blogger EvieMarie said...

I am very sad to say that I didn't beat up on anyone last Tuesday. I had a nasty headache from the night before and was doing all I could not to lose my breakfast. It was fixed within 20 minutes (once the guy recabled the server back to the same ports it was using before). I did get to hear about how the product manager and the head of that department (one of my old managers which I love!) made sure that this guy will have his choice of assholes to use since they've ripped him a new one...


and when I can't seem to get anywhere with NLHE, I switch to Razz. I love it - thanks Felicia! Still low limits, but it helps me relax.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home