Monday, May 08, 2006

9s are GOOD

I've actually been playing a little poker lately. Low limits... lower than I've ever played before in my life. I'm rebuilding the bankroll. After losing everything, I decided that I'd wait until my monthly bonus from Full Tilt Poker and work up from there instead of buying in again. I've doubled that money... actually quite quickly, within a week. It's been slower going, but I'm still increasing with every session.

Since I'd stepped back and scaled back my play, I find that I'm much more focused on what I'm doing and how my play is. I'm able to catch my weak spots and bad plays more and try to correct them. I still see plenty of bad beats... bone fide ones, where your AK/2 pair on the flop goes up against pocket 2s and calls your all in on the flop, then catches a set on the river. That happens.

Low to mid pocket pairs have always been a sore spot for me. If I have a pair of 6s or less, I fold 'em on the flop to any decent sized bet if I don't hit a set. Sometimes I won't even call some raises pre-flop with these cards, depending on the bettor, size of the bet and how many people are along for the ride. For the mid pairs, I very rarely raise. I have to be in late position/button and hope that I can outplay the people still in.

For a while, it seemed that any low to mid pocket pair that I had was useless. Couldn't catch a set. The cards were low enough where there were always overcards on the flop. Sometimes the card I needed would come on the turn or river after huge amounts of betting on the flop or pre-flop. I was disciplined and didn't chase.

This weekend, my pocket 9s were gods. They ruled! In a span of an orbit, I had pocket 9s three times. I'd raise pre-flop and get a couple of callers. I'd catch a 9 on the flop for a set. Always get action. Lots of it. There would be an A or K on the flop and people would chase. Or someone would have a lower set - a set of 3s against my 9s. The third time this happened, I even spiked a 9 on the river for quads.

I think I just used all of my pocket pair luck. For the year. I wish I'd been playing at much higher limits than I usually play. On tilt. So EVERYONE would have called me. I could've made a killing! I'm very happy with my wins though.

Taking a step back and focusing on other things is working well for me. I played some pool last night. Ended up winning 4 out of 6 games against the guys helping me improve my game. They all tell me that they know better than to throw a game against me... If I win, I want it to be won fairly. They all know that. They also know I'd kick every single one of them on their backsides if I thought they were doing this. They tell me that I'm definitely getting better - and I see that. Pool league starts in a month. Luckily these guys will be on my team. I'd hate to have to beat them like stepchildren in the league matches. lol

5 Comments:

Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

I play low pocket pairs the SAME way. I limp in and hope to catch a set. I always raise with tens and above, but I'm clueless when it comes to mid pairs. Anyway, I catch a lot of sets and I know that one day the poker gods are going to stop sending sets my way and then I'm really gonna have to learn how to play pocket pairs the correct way. hehe

1:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

99 is the best starting hand in Hold Em'.


Aces are overrated.

2:18 PM  
Blogger CC said...

Keep clawing back. I'm with you on the low to mid pocket pairs unless I have a very good read. Of course, I can't really read anyone, so there you go.

6:46 PM  
Blogger BigMike said...

Your readers demand any details of AC this weekend you are willing to share...

4:21 PM  
Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Nice Job Eva...keep it up.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home