Monday, May 15, 2006

Bachelorette Parties and Straight Flushes

What a weekend! I think I need a few days off to recover... The weekend was celebrated in true "CanHang" style.

A friend is getting married next month, and her bachelorette party was this weekend. A Saturday night in Atlantic City with the girls. Great idea. It consisted of 5 girls, which included the bachelorette. We tried to convince her that she doesn't need to get married. Of course, the usual argument didn't work. We told her that once she gets married, her husband would get chubby and go bald, then she'd have to live with it. Since he's already there, it didn't make much impact. Strike one for the married women.

It had to be one of the best bachelorette parties I've ever been to. All of the women besides the bachelorette were already married, so we didn't have the usual problem of finding the party member who ran off to get a little action. All 5 of us got along great - no drama, no fighting, and the bonus of nobody drinking to the point of puking. Its not like people didn't try...

Of course, I can't let everyone in on the full party happenings, but here's a couple of highlights:

- We hooked up with another friend of mine who was in AC for a bachelor party. The guys were fun to hang out with and bought us several drinks. Their bachelor also happens to be a DA in Philadelphia, so we figured we could use their help in case anyone had a run-in with the local law. Always nice to have someone associated with the law around... Just like having a fellow blogger there while in Vegas.

- We decided to take the bachelorette into what was supposedly a really cool club. I paid the $50 in cover charges to get in to find out that although it had really bumping music playing, there was no dance floor. They had tables, but for bottle service only. We had been the first ones in, so we had our choice of locations. We grabbed a prime seat and prepared to order a couple bottles of champagne when we were told that the good table we were sitting at was already reserved. They tried to get us to sit all the way in the back corner. Complete BS. Up to the bar - one round of drinks at double the price of anywhere else. We didn't stay long.

- We went to watch Phil's band Vibe Tribe play at Bally's. They made sure that everyone knew that the bachelorette was there and encouraged everyone to buy her drinks/shots. Music was great and we did a whole lot of dancing.

- The bachelorette made friends with (supposedly) a bigwig of a very very large corporation. If nothing else, he was throwing around money like he was. The bottles of Cristal champagne were a nice touch. His girlfriend was a little creepy though. At one point, he told me that he hoped she wasn't a lesbian. After watching her for a little bit, I couldn't reassure him that she wasn't.

- I had to leave the festivities at 4:30 AM. Unfortunately, I had server work to do at 5 AM. Critical last-minute stuff that was scheduled and I couldn't get out of. I had to call the 24 hour monitoring group and let them know I was going to take down a server. I couldn't tell you how bad I was slurring. While waiting for the server to reboot, I passed out at my laptop for 45 minutes. I woke up, finished the maintenance and let people know the work was done. I logged in again the next morning to make sure I'd worked on the right server. Yup, it seems that booze and work isn't a problem for me. Everyone should try it.

- I woke up after 5 hours of sleep and tried to get out of bed. I couldn't get the world to stop rocking and making me seasick. Luckily I didn't drive - Kenna did. When we started back home at 11:30 AM, she didn't seem to be having the same problems I was. I think that was because she was still drunk and the hangover hadn't started kicking in yet.

The couch was my best friend yesterday. Once I got home, that was where I spent most of my time. I grabbed my laptop and decided to play a little poker. I had a bad run initially and lost two buy-ins within the first 15 minutes. One was a suckout, the other I was outplayed (my nut flush on the river didn't hold up to the pocket pair that caught a boat on the turn). I figured I'd give it one more buy-in before I was done for the day.

I worked back my money slowly, but catching a straight flush helped. I was in early position and had one person calling me. He had a pair of aces on the flop and two pair on the turn, but I'd already made the flush with an OESD on the flop. When the 4th diamond on the river hit, it brought me the straight flush. I was praying for him to have the K of diamonds, but no such luck. When he folded, I had to show my hand. I took down a good sized pot too.

I finished up around 10 BB. Good enough. Even if I only win a little each session, its still winning. I don't know how much poker I'll get to play over the next few weeks though. My side project is heating up, and I joined a shuffleboard league on Sundays to go with my pool league. Trying to diversify my life a little. I think that stepping back has been good for my game and leaves me more focused when I actually do play. I like to win. Now I just have a few different things to win at.


Post a Comment

<< Home