Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wednesday morning BLAHs...

I've just spent half the night playing with a server hardware issue. It should've been an easy fix. Suspend the hardware and let the vendor replace it. I had their tech lead take a look at the server after and schedule the hardware replacement. It's still not working right after the hardware replacement, and the customer is screaming. This is only the second time I've worked on this type of hardware replacement. It should be easy, but my bad luck seems to be coming into play. The first time, I ended up corrupting a database and it had to be rebuilt completely from backups. I don't want to do something like that again. Especially since its the same customer. :)

I *WAS* having an upswing in cards recently. I'd moved up from .05/.10 NL ring games to the .10/.25 NL ones and had built up my bankroll by 50%. I was feeling quite pleased with myself... and I think that was my downfall. Not to say that I didn't get my share of bad beats (flop a set of Ks, get "bluffed" by A7s, and have them runner-runner a flush - stuff like that), but I think I tilted pretty hard. It's funny because I never thought I tilted. At least not that badly. It seems that I don't know myself as well as I thought I did. I felt calm. I seemed calm. I called raises with TPTK when someone suddenly started betting out of nowhere on the turn or river. It should've been my first clue that they caught a second pair or a straight when I had two pair, but who would play those cards, right? My first tilting mistake: not giving people enough "credit" (!?!?) for their randomness and donkey-like poker playing attitude. Took a step back. Deep breath. Try again a few days later, and came out slightly ahead. Good, good, good. Making progress. Give it a little more time... try again.

I have good news to report too. I'm officially getting better at pool. :) I'm now ranked a 3 instead of a 2 by the APA. I've won my last two or three matches in a row. I still have problems where sometimes I'll need to shoot on the same ball close to half a dozen times before I can sink it, but my defensive shots and ability to completely screw my opponent with my leave (we call that "johnson pool"... it's all about being a dick LOL) keep me ahead of the other person. And if I get behind? I actually play better, believe it or not. I think the extra adrenaline that leaks into my veins when I've got more balls to sink (or when I'm "short-stacked", whichever the game might be) helps me to focus and play better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. They keep playing me against other women in my matches though. I always thought it was because there were quite a few of us that all started this session and are still ranked as 2s. No excuse now. I'm a 3, and there are plenty of 3s that are male. My low-cut tops that display cleavage are definitely gonna be coming out of the closet! Any legal advantage that can be taken should and will be...

It's all how you play the game. Tilt your opponent before they tilt you. In any game. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Congrats on the jump in limits!

Dressing flashy won't work on me, Lady. I used to play chicks in Daisy Dukes and knotted shirts in college.

I still won.

Feel free to try if you like, though. =)

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say whether the low cut tops would work. In all fairness, photos of you in them would allow a more objective appraisal of such a strategy.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Derek McG said...

i love how you used the words "hardware, johnson, dick, balls, veins, and cleavage" in your post . . . sweet!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post...low cut tops work me...

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home